0488 986 302

House Rewiring


Many domestic installations wired before 1960 have potentially deadly VR (Vulcanised Indian Rubber) and TRS (Tough rubber sheathed) cables of some form. This wiring has exceeded its serviceable life and poses a risk of electrocution of homeowners and persons entering the roof space or underfloor area.

VIR and TRS wiring systems pose a risk because the standards of the day did not require earthing conductors to be insulated or installed. They were not designed to handle increasing household power demands and do not meet the current electrical safety standards. Very often the high temperatures in roof spaces or excessive circuit loading may cause the wire to overheat and lead to the insulation deteriorating.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that VIR and TRS insulation has a service life of no more than 30 years. This maximum service life takes into account the deterioration due to natural aging of the rubber and to high ambient temperatures in roof spaces. The deterioration of the cable insulation may result in bare live conductors in the roof space and possibly bare live conductors in wall conduits and behind fittings.

Once the integrity of the rubber insulation is breached, the live conductors are exposed. This is a safety hazard for anyone entering the roof space.

If you are unsure of the type of wiring in your home we encourage you to call us today to undertake a safety inspection to assess the potential hazard and advise accordingly.




For Protection and peace of mind, we urge you to call today if you have any concerns about the safety of your home.
Sadly, despite all the advice, serious electrical injuries will occur each year in Australian homes. This is why it is important to ensure your home is electrically safe and sound.


With recent fatalities we urge all home renovators to be cautious. Our industry leaders have raised the awareness of property owners to the dangers of electrical metallic split conduits which can be found in many older properties. Due to age and possible modifications over the years, some split conduits have lost their earthing continuity and become 'live'.

What is metallic split conduit If a home was built in the 1920's to the 1960's and the electrical installation has not been rewired in recent years, there is a good chance it would still have metallic split conduit installed. These conduits were manufactured of mild steel, formed almost into a complete circle without the seam being joined and was then painted black. This system was designed to enclose single or multiple insulated cables and the conduit fittings include elbows, tees, junction boxes and couplings which were connected by clamping with screws. The system was dependent upon the entire length of the split conduit being earthed.

What is the danger? Unfortunately, earthing continuity can be lost in the long term through deterioration or modification. The metal conduit and fittings which were usually installed on top of roof timbers produced a risk of separation of people who required access to the roof cavity stood or walked on the conduit. There have also been cases where the points and elbow fittings have been disconnected to aid in gaining access to the existing cables and have not been reconnected. The cable installed in the split conduit is subject to ordinary aging where it can lose its normal insulating property over time and the live cable could come into contact within the metal conduit meaning the conduit becomes LIVE.

Our mission at Bocco Electrical is to ensure every home in Sydney is made safe and as electrically protected as it possibly can be. We guarantee the combination of our experience, expertise and testing equipment , will ensure your home is not only safe for you, but your entire family and friends.

NEVER IGNORE A TINGLE - A slight tingle could be a sign of a much bigger problem. That's why if you feel one it's important to contact us straight away and we'll come out to your home 24/7, investigate the problem and make sure everything is safe. What feels like a tingling sensation is actually a mild electric shock. It's usually felt by the part of the body that makes contact with either a fixed appliance (such as metal taps, both inside and out), or a portable appliance such as a toaster or hair dryer. Tingles occur for a variety of reasons including faults with the appliance or at the point of attachment (where the electrical wiring comes into your home). It's important to note that while you may only feel a slight tingle, someone else
in the family using an appliance that draws more voltage into the home may receive a stronger electric shock. This is why it is important to contact us when you first feel a tingle.

House Rewiring Specialists

House Rewiring

Feel free to request a call back however if you need an immediate response, then please call us now.


1800 629 329

We accept  Pensioner Discount